Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Training Update

So far this week I have not done any of my planned shorter runs. After that 20 mile run on Saturday I really felt great in terms of muscle soreness- I actually didn't have any at all, which is certainly different than training for my first marathon. I do, however, have some bruising on the bottom of my feet and heels. Walking is a bit painful, so I'm trying to be smart and let my feet heal up before I lace up the running shoes again.

After the Oklahoma marathon I'm considering trying out a new brand of shoes. I really like the Asics I've been wearing in terms of stability-- but I'm wondering if they could be better cushioned, as I seem to wear out cushioning quickly once I get to my longer runs.

One of the biggest things I'm learning training for marathon #2 is that it is okay to be flexible with your training and make it work for you. For the Arizona marathon I had no idea what I was doing as far as how to build mileage, so I used the free training program provided when I registered for the race. Those programs can be a great starting point-- I used a similar one training for Oklahoma as well. However this time around I'm much less anxious about changing the schedule times or mileage in order to match whatever I'm feeling up to physically. This is one of the great things about running- it can work for everyone, but I think it takes a little while to learn exactly what works best for your body and your needs.

Just 18 more days until Oklahoma-- the excitement is certainly building. 6 more miles left to sponsor....

No comments: