Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Where do we go from here?

Okay race sponsors... I need your help!

Although we do need to focus and keep our 'eyes on the Oklahoma prize' in April- we also need to start considering in what state marathon #3 will take place. Why the urgency? Because the registration for one of my options is already 95% full-- meaning if that's the one we want to do I need to act quickly.
Think of this as the 'Choose Your Own Adventure' for fundraising and running...

You can vote for which state I run by selecting your choice from the poll at the top right corner of my blog. (And no, I'm not talented enough to do both in the same year!)

Here's the pros and cons for each...

Florida (Walt DisneyWorld Goofy Challenge) - January 9-10, 2010
Pros: The Goofy Challenge (half marathon on Saturday, full marathon on Sunday) is the race I want to do more than anything, and it's all in Disneyworld! I am a Disneyland fanatic, but I've never been to Disneyworld-- so this would be a GREAT reason to go!
Cons: Financial- expensive entry fee I'd need to pay quickly (registration already 95% full), plus airfare, hotel cost, etc. I can make this all work, but I'd need to start getting my budget in order now. Timing- race happens the weekend before spring semester starts, do-able, but not ideal. Less support- not likely to have as many family/friends in Florida for race support.

Texas (Dallas White Rock Marathon) - December 13, 2009
Pros: It's arguably the best and most well known marathon in Texas, and the start and finish line is within walking distance of my apartment. Financially this will be great in terms of no hotel costs, airfare, dog boarding fees, etc. Timing- fits easily into semester schedule. Support- many of my great Dallas running friends will running this race as well.
Cons: I don't know that this is really a con-- but this marathon is likely to be just down the street from me for a while since I plan to live in Dallas at LEAST 4 more years, so maybe there's no rush to do it this year?

Summary: Do I go with the life is short- live your dream, the details will work themselves out mindset (aka- Florida), or the practical close to home option (aka-Texas). Please place your votes and let me know what you think. I'll do whatever my sponsors decide. :)
Feel free to post the rationale behind your vote in blog comments as well.
Thanks!

No comments: