Friday, March 20, 2009

Oklahoma Mile 13 Sponsor

Genevieve Medina


What is your hometown?
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Are you a runner?
Yes
If yes, what is your favorite race distance?
It's a tie. I love the 10K b/c it's easy, but I also love the half marathon b/c
it's challenging for me and I really have to push myself that last little bit.
What is your profession?
Chemist
What are your hobbies?
Cooking, baking, photography, and reading.
What size shoe do you wear?
7.5 (8.5 for running shoes)
What is your favorite food?
My Oma (grandmother) makes the most amazing green beans and spaetzle. I could
eat that everyday for the rest of my life.
What is your favorite vacation destination?
The beach. I love hot sand and cool water.
What is your favorite inspirational quote?
"If your mind is empty, it is always ready for anything; it is open to
everything. In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the
expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki
Why did you choose to support the Susan Mortensen Turley foundation by being a race sponsor?
I've known several people with cancer. Some of them survived and some of them
didn't. It was a really difficult time in their lives and they needed so much
support. If I can help ease someone else's difficulty a little bit that may make
a huge difference in their fight.
Any particular reason you chose to sponsor this mile number?
Mile 13 is the halfway point. It's the point of no return, if you go half way
you may as well go all the way.
Who would you like to challenge to become a race sponsor for the Oklahoma Marathon?
People who love chocolate cupcakes.
Note from Anna: Genevieve is yet ANOTHER talented DRC pace group leader. Although we're not in the same group and don't often end up on the same training runs together-Genevieve has been such a big postive influence and support. Just a few weeks ago I was 2 miles into a really tough 10k (perhaps made more difficult since my group had run a 10 mile warm up prior to race), and decided to walk for a bit. Genevieve passed me around this point and shouted out that she had a homeade chocolate cupcake for me she'd give me after the race. Now- this was still the most unpleasant 10k I've ever run for several reasons (long warmup, insane wind,
too many hills, sand, gravel, etc.)- but the promise of Genevieve's cupcake post-race without a doubt helped keep my attitude on the positive side.
And it was worth getting to the finish line- that cupcake was AMAZING!!
:)

No comments: