Saturday, March 7, 2009

Training update

Ei yai yai yai yai! I'm not even sure if that's how you spell that- but it 's the most relevant descriptor I could come up with for this morning's training run. 16 miles- which by itself is fine because it's become a fairly comfortable distance for me-- at least compared to 6 months ago anyway. But this morning the 16 miles came about rather unconventionally.

At 6:30 this morning I met Max and Denise from my training group out at the park so we could put in a 10 mile warm up before the 10k there that morning. (Still seems strange that my warmups for races are nearly twice as long as the race distance now. I remember 2 years ago at my first 5k seeing people jogging around as warm up before race start. I very distinctly remember wondering if I should be warming up to, but then decided against it- because if I ran extra for warm up, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to run the whole 3.1 miles! Boy how things have changed!)

So we had a pretty enjoyable 10 mile warm up... and then the 10k began! Wow! Definitely unforgettable is all I can say. LOTS of people running on very rough terrain-- up hill, down hill, through traffic, and somehow I swear it worked out we were running into the wind (knock you down kind of wind) both directions!
Whew! I'm not ashamed to admit that I did a fair bit of walking in that 10k. That was rough!!!

No comments: