Sunday, July 17, 2011

Half Way There

Mile 12 - Andrea & Mason Convey, Steve Lucas

Just prior to the half way point, the full marathon course traversed on an out and back segment of an interstate bridge which had incredible views of Seattle, but for some reason took a lot more out of me than I would have anticipated for that distance. Once we hit the turn around point I realized why. We had been running on a very gradual uphill for a mile or two- and my pace suffered a bit. My parents were waiting to meet me here as the course passed through downtown, but weren't able to catch me with the pace change. Here are some pics of the downtown views during their wait:

Mile 13 - Roxanne Olvera & Greg Hall


“Just think…. This is much less painful and much more fun than sitting in a hospital passing kidney stones! On a serious note, by Mile 13, the real race begins. All your friends and family believe in you. Feel Susan's spirit run with you, step by step. Peace be the journey.” -- Greg & Roxanne Haha! Very accurate reminder of some of the circumstances under which I missed last year's Seattle marathon. At mile 13 I was feeling great- which was especially an accomplishment because this was my first marathon that I was running without the assistance of major steroids and medications to keep my health issues in check. To call this a big deal is an incredible understatement given all I'd been through with doctors and hospitals in the last few years.

Thanks so much for your continued support and friendship, Greg & Roxanne. You are both such a special part of my life!

Mile 14 - Serena Lambiase

Serena- Thanks so much for being such a loyal supporter of my marathon fundraisers. You are quite an endurance inspiration to look up to! Thanks for helping to keep me running strong and happy. :)
...............

Mile 15 - Bruce & Janet Mortensen


Bruce & Janet- Of course none of these experience would be possible without all of the hard work and dedication you're putting in to changing lives through Susan's Foundation. Thank you again for allowing me to be part of this great endeavor! I love you both!

One of the sites we passed around mile 15- and had passed on the Duck Boat tour the day before- the Pink Elephant car wash, where reportedly Elvis himself brought his pink Cadillac on a number of occasions. And yes, I saw several running Elvi in this race- what marathon would be complete without them? :)

No comments: