Sunday, January 2, 2011

Helloooooo out there.....

Hard to believe it's been 6 months since I last posted here. I am still alive, although running activity was minimal in 2010. I'd like to thank Randy & Sarah again for carrying Team Lemonade Makers through and finishing their first half-marathon in Seattle in support of Susan's Foundation. What an amazing feat they accomplished!! What's next for Anna's Marathon 50?? Well, for starters the focus has been on getting healthy. Now that I seem to have that under control, the goal is to get active again and see if I can attempt a Seattle Marathon finish in 2011 since 2010 didn't happen for me.

So far the comeback has been much more difficult than anticipated. This is definitely not the same body that ran three marathons in 2009, so I'm trying to adapt my training plan accordingly. Overall I'm trying to run less and rest more by training in 10 day rather than weekly cycles. I'm just at the start of my third cycle now and am still slowly adjusting to my new run-walker status.

One of the greatest ways I've been doing this is getting back into the fun of running again and participating in some local races. Below is a pic of my friend, Roxanne, and I just before the Jog'r Egg Nog'r 5k. (Please take note of our festive socks). Just covering the 3 mile distance run-walking was not easy for me at all. Though thanks to Roxanne's encouragement, and the promise of the finish line egg nog party, I got through it.

On New Year's Day Roxanne, Greg, and I ran a 5 mile race (this one with a post-race mimosa party!!). I walked the first four miles pretty comfortably and slowly ran in the last mile, which was my goal. Special thanks again to Greg and Roxanne for ignoring the 30 degree temperatures and coming back to run me in to the finish. What great friends!!

Two more races planned for the next two weekends. Neither feature post-race alcohol but one does boast post-race Hot Chocolate and a finishers mug. My running goals will be to continue increasing my walk times (at 1 1/2 hours currently) and working back up to 3 miles of continuous running. I'm excited to pick up tennis as a cross training activity this season and start lessons next week.

The next big race I'm training for is the Dallas Rock n Roll Half Marathon in March. Once I get through that and see how it feels, I will then make the decision whether to again try for the Seattle full marathon in June and open up those remaining miles for sponsors.

Thanks to all for your support for Susan's Foundation through this fundraiser for the past 2 years. I can't wait to see what 2011 will bring! Please spread the word that the 2nd Annual Susan's Run will be held in Tempe, AZ in Feburary and now includes 1 mile, 5k and 10k distances. I hope to see you there. You can register at http://www.susanmturley.org/

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

No comments: