Friday, February 27, 2009

Running is cheaper than therapy....

One of the most popular quotes ever put on a running t-shirt...and definitely true! In the past 8 months we've had 3 deaths in my family....the most recent of which was last week. I'm guessing that I'm not the first runner that didn't even consider setting aside their running training during their grieving.... to some that might sound strange-- but once I got settled into running, it has become such an important part of my everyday life. It is my time to meditate, work out problems, processes emotions or ideas... all of which are especially needed after losing a loved one.


It seems like from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed each day that everything moves so quickly-- not very often does quiet time to think and reflect really present itself automatically- for me it's something I have to create, and that's what my running time is for me. No emails to check, no phones to answer, no dog begging for a belly rub (sorry Lilo), just me, my thoughts, and the road. Before I was a runner I'm not sure how I ever got by without that regular 'me' time in my day.

No comments: