Friday, March 5, 2010

Anna's Marathon Mile 2 Sponsors

Nelson & Kelly Prater


Where are your hometowns?
I think hometown, Kelly would probably say St. Louis, MO though she was born in Denver. I grew up in Corpus Christi, TX.

Where do you live now?
Garland, TX, though we pretend it's Santa Fe, NM.

Are you a runners? If so, what is your next race? What are your favorite post-run treats?
My next race is the OKC Marathon. I always drink chocolate milk post-run, though one day last week I forgot -- what's up with that? Kelly is a walker, and does yoga and Pilates. She could live on some type of interesting crackers, a block of cheese, and a slicer.

What are your occupations?
I work in HR at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas, but I can't wait to get John's and Katie's college loans paid off so I can retire and go work somewhere where I can't wait to get up and go to work every day (Central Market? ranch cook?) Kelly has been a stay-at-home-mom since Katie was born, but is now looking for work (she is an accountant) so I can go do my dream job sooner.

What are your favorite breakfast foods?
I eat my homemade granola virtually every morning. This time of year I put slightly-thawed and sliced-up frozen strawberries and peaches on top. I can't wait for fresh blueberry season, though. I love blueberries! Kelly isn't a big breakfast eater, but likes those Quaker Oatmeal-on-the-Go bars.

What were the last books you read?
For me, "Love Comes Softly" by Janette Oke (for the 7th time), and Tony Dungy's "Uncommon." I am currently reading both Jacques Pepin's biography and Phillip Gulley's "If the Church Were Christian" books. Kelly just finished Kristin Armstrong's new book "Work in Progress." We both read "The Shack" -- I read it in one day on a Saturday after one of our long runs; started it and couldn't stop. Kelly bides her time waiting for the next Maeve Binchy book to come out.

Tell us one thing you want to be sure to do in your lifetimes.
We're keeping a 2-week trip to Ireland in the back of our heads.

What is the first thing you associate with Seattle, Washington?
I used to think Starbucks coffee. Now I'll remember it as the place my friend Anna ran a marathon for the Susan Mortensen Turley Foundation.

Note from Anna: Nelson and Kelly are just a few more of the ever dedicated sponsors who also helped support my Texas race. Nelson is fondly known as Dallas Running Club's 'Muffin Man', and generously sets hours of his time aside each week to prepare homemade post-run treats for several hundred DRC training members. DRC has been so touched by Nelson's generosity and baking skills, they came together to provide Nelson a new Kitchen Aid mixer. Nelson has since named the mixer 'Charlie' and has been keeping him busy keeping all the DRC runners happy and fed. We love Nelson's enthusiasm, generosity and support of each one of us. Thanks so much for all that you and Kelly do! I'm honored to run mile 2 for you both in Seattle!

No comments: