Saturday, May 1, 2010

Update from Anna - Holding Back

55 days until Seattle. I just returned from a slow and steady 6 mile run where I did a lot of thinking on what to post today. This training season has come with a number of challenges, and I haven't been posting to the blog as much because it's so tempting to only write about happy successes rather than challenges. However, this 50 marathon fundraising goal will definitely be a long time pursuit and I've had some amazing support from so many wonderful friends and sponsors. I figure after all you have done to support me and Susan's Foundation, you deserve honest reports from me on what this whole experience is like. So, here is goes...

I've been trying to prepare myself for the possibility that the Seattle marathon may not happen for me this year for a few reasons... This January I changed to a new research lab and academically I could not possibly be in a better place. It has been an amazing experience and I'm learning SO MUCH! I'm also putting in 60-70 hours into school and work each week and consequently have struggled to find the time necessary to keep recruiting new mile sponsors. This change in jobs also came with a big change in finances. While I sincerely believe this budget cut will be worth it in the end, it has definitely put a strain on my training. Even the little costs associated with long-distance running training (e.g., chiropractor co-pays, shoes, even the more groceries I end up needing to hold up the calorie drains of these training runs) have become difficult to manage. And then there's the ever-constant challenge of keeping my body physically up to this training week after week; which has created a few added struggles recently as well.

So... what to do? Call it quits for Seattle? Honestly there have been times I've considered it. It's been a tough, lonely training season for sure. But after some serious reflection today, I've decided I'm not ready to give in yet. I want to try to make it to run Seattle in 55 days. I'm going to think positive it will happen, particularly because I'm so excited for the new half-marathon LemonadeMakers and all they've commplished this season. I would hate it if I couldn't be there to support them.

I'm going to work hard on my end to work out the financial, physical and time challenges I'm up against. Where I'll need your help is getting these last 18.2 miles sponsored in time. Way back at the start of this endeavor I committed to only run marathons if I got all the miles sponsored for Susan's Foundation and I will stick to that promise. I GREATLY appreciate all of you who have been able to support me as mile sponsors for this upcoming race as well as previous races. Rest assured that if for any reason things don't work out to run Seattle this year, all of your donations will be held right where they are until I'm able to make the attempt again next year. These 26.2 Washington miles will get sponsored and will get run... hopefully this year.

If everyone could please share information about Susan's Foundation and this fundraiser with just two or three new people this week, that would be a huge help. Thank you again for all of your support. Let's make this happen! :)

No comments: