Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Anna's Training Update

Hello there, remember me? :) The last few weeks have been interesting. First things first, I flew to Tempe, AZ to take part in the 1st Annual Susan's Run 5k. This was a fantastic event!! Hopefully I'll get some pictures up soon. There was a great turnout and it was awesome to see so many friends and family all in one place, remembering Susan and supporting such a great cause. I had a great time running the race with my sister-in-law, (Annette) and chatting away about all kinds of girly topics. The course was also fun. In Dallas I'd gotten very used to running most of my races on an out and back stretch of a flat course at the lake. As much as I love White Rock Lake, the Kiwanis Park course was a very nice change up. We encountered several hills (good prep for Seattle), lots of turns and changes in scenery. We ran through a desert complete with a camel and giant tortise, a maze made up of dirt mounds and chain link fences, and an actual fishing tournament where you had to dodge people casting for their big winning catch. See-- I told you it was adventerous. :) I can't wait to attend Susan's Run again next year. I have decided that this is one race I will never miss!

Once that whirlwind weekend ended, I made it back to Dallas and pretty shortly thereafter fell a bit under the weather for a while and took some time off runs-- only about 10 days actually, but that can feel like a lot. I'm glad to say I just made it back to training in the last week or so. I had a fantastic run with one of my favorite running buddies (James-- my Texas Marathon running partner) last Saturday. I was shooting for 13 miles, and James for 20. Actually neither of us ended up hitting our intended distances that day, but the conversation and company were so great I really didn't care at all. Like I say a lot-- this entire 50 marathon experience is not about the running for me. Sure, that's part of it. But ultimately it's about the experiences and the relationships I'm finding along the journey. Speaking of which, while on that run we ran into (haha- that pun's for you mom) our great friends (and repeat mile sponsors) Roxanne and Greg.... who are actually now ENGAGED TO BE MARRIED!!! I couldn't be more excited for them! It's just one more example of the kinds of great people I've met and friends I've made as a result of this crazy running journey.

Speaking of relationships...tonight, after taking a little time off hill training, I set out to again 'embrace the hills'. I headed out to Flagpole Hill and ran a solo 7 hill workout. [Sarah-- this data is for you since you've been asking...my Garmin showed that hill to be (at most) a 20-25% grade and about a 1/4 mile from top to bottom]. I could definitely tell I'd taken time off hill runs, because tonight's meeting was less of an embrace, and more of a handshake- maybe a side hug at best. I was SLOW and it HURT!! But I'm going to keep plugging away at it-- because in just 73 days-- we're hitting those Seattle hills!

:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Verrryyy punnnnyyy!!!
Glad you are getting back in the groove! (I didn't even know you were out of it!!) I have sore calves today as well, but mine are from climbing over miles of big rocks on Dad's last fishing excursion!!

Love you1
MOM