Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Texas Marathon Mile 19 Sponsors





















Hari, Nirisha, Jay & Roxanne (the dog) Garimella


What is your hometown? Hari- Good question. Right now it is Allen, TX. I grew up in Tanzania, Malaysia, Nigeria, the Fiji Islands and now have lived in the U.S. for more than 17 years. Nirisha- Grew up in Madras (Chennai) India, now it is Hyderabad, India.

Where do you live now? Allen, TX

What is the furthest distance you've ever run or walked? Hari- 26.2 miles Nirisha- 14 miles (Just completed my first half-marathon: Heels and Hills)

What is your favorite way to spend a Saturday morning? Hari- running with my DRC group. Nothing gives me more satisfaction than helping fellow runners attain their goals. I have made so many friends through DRC. I always look forward to my Saturday runs. Nirisha- Early morning DRC run with Jay in the stroller, brunch and nap. Perfect.

What is your favorite workout song, or song that gets you up and moving? Hari- AC/DC-- Who Made Who Nirisha- Don't listen to music when running, but love chatting about food with my friends. That keeps us going.

What is the first thing you think of when you think of Texas? Hari- Now big it is. My God, I forgot how long it takes to drive out of Texas (took 12 hours on the way to Phoenix, via El Paso). Nirisha- Flat.


What is the bravest thing you've ever done? Hari- Taking charge of my health, making no excuse for not keeping fit. I was weighing 250 lbs, having a pulse rate above 100. I knew I had to do something to change this, because I felt I owe it to my family to be there for them. I am 65 lbs lighter and much happier. Nirisha- Marrying a 250 lb Hari. :-))))))))

What is your favorite candy? Hari- stopped eating candy.....sigh. Does a Sprinkles cupcake count? Nirisha- Rittersport Hazelnut

What is the biggest goal you're currently working toward? Hari- Dallas White Rock Marathon. Finished OKC full and St. George Marathon this year. I would love to do an ultra- marathon, if I can figure out the answer of how to stop cramping later in the race. :-) Nirisha- healing from IT Band injury during Heels and Hills.

Where is your next vacation destination? Hari- Good question. It would be a marathon destination. The best way to see a city! I would like to do the 50 states too. I have Texas, Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Utah under my belt. I have thought about Big Sur, Grandma's Marathon (Duluth, MN). Nirisha- Going to India next week for 10 days for my close friend's wedding. No hubby, no kid. Vacation- here I come!

What movie inspires you the most? Hari- Chariots of Fire, Spirit of the Marathon. Nirisha- Remember the Titans (Hari is sick of this movie since it has been played way to much at our house).

In which state would you like to see Anna run her next marathon (after Texas)? Hari- Anna, how about St. George, UT. I was impressed with the course, crowd support, and and organization. Nirisha- Utah- St. George (loved the vacation).

Why did you choose to sponsor mile 19? Hari- Most of my favorite miles (22 onward) were already sponsored. :-) Usually by mile 19 I can tell if I am going to finish strong in the marathon. Nirisha- most were taken. But sponsoring any mile is good for this cause. :-)

Why did you want to become a marathon mile sponsor to support the Susan Mortensen Turley Foundation? Hari- I am impressed with the dedication you have shown to keeping Susan's memory alive. She is somewhere in heaven knowing that she has a family member who is striving to make a difference in helping to fund cancer research and finding a cure for this terrible disease. Nirisha- I think it is great that the family has turned a tragedy into a great cause. This is like a Susan G Komen cause in the making! Great job Anna.

Note from Anna: The Garimella Family is without a doubt one of my favorites in DRC! Hari and Nirisha were also Oklahoma Marathon mile sponsors, and I always look forward to seeing both of them at DRC group runs!! Their son, Jay, is without question one of the cutest kids I know, and is our youngest Team Sprinkles Member. In addition to raising a great family, both Hari and Nirisha are continually training for new races and goals throughout the year, and still find time to be incredibly supportive of each of their fellow runners. Thank you Garimella family!! :)

No comments: